[Gllug] Gnome3 on Fedora 16 (Again)

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Apr 17 18:35:55 UTC 2012

On 17/04/12 19:22, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> Two questions for those with more experience than me.
>
> 1. Do I need the initial ramdisk?  How can I disable it?

I'm not familiar with Fedora, but usually the purpose of an initial
ramdisk is to allow the use of a generic kernel with lots of loadable
modules.  The initrd provides somewhere from which to load whatever
modules are needed by your particular hardware configuration.

You can get rid of it by building your own kernel with all the required
drivers compiled in rather than being loaded as modules.

The question arises though - why do you want to?

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk