[Gllug] Gnome3 on Fedora 16 (Again)

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 18:58:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 07:22:00PM +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> Two questions for those with more experience than me.
>
> 1. Do I need the initial ramdisk?  How can I disable it?

It is part of the boot process, it is automatically built when a new kernel is
installed. The point is that the generic kernels don't have the drivers for your
hard disk, ... - these are loaded as modules. This is good because it allows the
generic kernel to run on a wide variety of hardware without being bloated with
lots of drivers that will never be used on your particular machine.
Problem is: how does the kernel load the hard disk driver from the hard disk
before it has loaded the driver for the hard disk. The initrd (ram disk) is
built to contain drivers to get the system running -- it is loaded when the
kernel is by the BIOS.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/