[Gllug] genisoimage and files truncating

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Apr 30 19:43:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 06:56:57PM +0100, sharon kimble wrote:
> i am using genisoimage on this folder ...../home/boztu/Music/Irish Celtic
> Music Collection Version 2 .... which contains 2976 mp3s, but it is truncating
> the file names after the first word of their title. It appears to be doing this
> at the first space that it encounters, so I'm hoping someone can help me by
> suggesting a script that I can run that will remove all spaces in the file
> names, before .mp3, to enable genisoimage to run properly. The iso it creates
> is 18.9gbs in size and I then run split to make it into 4gb sized files to be
> burnt to dvds.
>
> Can you help me please?

The original 9660 ISO format has unrealistically short limits filenames,
and the type of characters that are allowed. When you're creating ISO
images you always want to turn on the Joliet & Rock Ridge extensions,
which allows much longer filenames & near arbitrary filename characters.
This is all described in the genisoimage man page, which I'd recommend
reading for a fuller understanding of what these options do

  genisoimage -J -r ...your other options...

Also, you don't really want to just create a 18 GB ISO image and use
split to distribute it across separate DVDs, otherwise the only way
to access the data is to copy all DVDs back to your HD and join the
ISO again. Instead group your music into a set of collections each
4 GB or less and create separate ISO images per DVD.

Regards,
Daniel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk