[Gllug] Fedora 16 MAC Address

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Apr 17 07:32:03 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 19:25 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> I noticed that the ethernet hardware showed a
> MAC address before the ethernet cable was connected, but is that always
> consistent? Does it change when the cable is connected?

There is no reason it should. The MAC has nothing to do with the
connectivity status of the interface. It's just the physical layer
address. That it changes means there is either a firmware bug or a bug
in the driver.

I'd recommend checking the Dell support site to see if there are any
firmware updates for the laptop and apply the latest if there are.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk