[Gllug] Cloud computing ( was Re: Linux Petition )

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sat Apr 28 15:16:02 UTC 2012

On 28/04/12 15:59, JLMS wrote:

>> Encrypting disks provides protection for "data at rest"
>> i.e. It protects when the computer is switched off. So in the cloud it
>> protects when the vm instance is shut down.
>> I agree, that for a cloud based always on service, not a lot of time is
>> spent in the off state.
>>

> But one is supposed to be encrypting communications also (VPN, ssh, SSL, etc).
>
> I don't see what is left uncovered ...

As I see it this depends on how you use the cloud. If you use it simply
as a data store then it's securable. Data must be retrieved from the
cloud storage and decrypted on a local machine. That's not how I
understand the usual usage to be. Data is held in the cloud, possibly
encrypted. Then an access key is uploaded to the cloud where it is used
to decrypt some or all of the data. The cloud now has the encrypted
data, the key and the plaintext. It's compromised.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk