[Gllug] Cloud computing ( was Re: Linux Petition )

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 10:30:40 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:43:05PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
<snip>
> not sure if you and Tethys are talking about the same thing... His point
> is more about privacy and ownership/access of data : backups wont help
> if everyone else gets access to your data.
>
> I think there is merit on both sides. Encryption works to some level to
> mitigate the idea of data being worth something to anyone else other
> than the key holder, but then on the flip side you need  key instance in
> the cloud in order to consume the data locally anyway.
<snip>

Data can be encrypted in storage (disks) and transit (network), but
I don't think it can be encrypted in memory if you want to use it.

That means that a superuser on virtual host can read the memory
of any guest machine. That will include a lot of unencrypted
sensitive data, although it would not be easy to sort through.

I'm not aware of any way of preventing this, but would happy to
be proved wrong.