[GLLUG] Avoid Virgin Media

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 11:20:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:13:25AM +0000, John Winters wrote:
> On 21/12/12 10:48, John Edwards wrote:
> [snip]
> >	http://jonnynexus.com/2011/03/08/how-virgin-media-shafted-us-again/
> >	http://jonnynexus.com/2012/09/04/why-i-hate-calling-the-virgin-media-call-centre/
>
> Well that answers the area of doubt which I mentioned earlier - the
> customer support under the Virgin banner is clearly just as
> unbelievably bad as it was under NT-Hell.

The really annoying bit is that there are people in the organisation
that know the phone support is crap and that this is causing them to
lose customers. So they hire people to intervene in twitter
conversations (either to help people or reduce bad PR), but somewhere
behind the scenes their own support systems are crumbling or being
overloaded. So each new bypass channel gets overloaded and requires a
new bypass channel.

It seems like working at Virgin Media is similar to the Terry Gilliam
film "Brazil". Except with less Harry Tuttles.

> I'm going to start a new support rule (not aimed at the OP, but at
> family members) - if people ask my advice on what provider to use
> and then ignore that advice and go with someone else because they're
> cheaper, then they're on their own.

You mean that isn't already your standard approach?
You must be a kinder person than most of us.