[GLLUG] Avoid Virgin Media

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 15:44:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:57:28 +0000 Rob Crowther
<robertc at boogdesign.com> wrote:

> I have Virgin Media at home and also (through a reseller) at work.
> Mostly it works just fine.  It does drop out occasionally (more at
> home than at work) and they have an issue where it's impossible to
> turn off their 'helpful' DNS failure page, but it's no worse in that
> regard than any other service I've ever used and it's certainly far
> faster.

I also have Virgin Media at home and have had few problems with them.
My main gripe is over their DNS failure page, but otherwise it's been a
good service over the last two years.

When I moved here (Oxford) I had a BT-based ISP, but the problem is
that I'm too far away from the exchange for any BT-based service to
work properly. It was slow and I kept losing my connection, meaning that
the broadband service was at about the same level as a dialup
connection. Virgin, on the other hand, have optical fibre.

I think it all depends on what the alternative is. For me, Virgin would
have to get a hell of a lot worse for me to even consider any of the
BT-based competition,
--
 All the best,
 John