[Gllug] Ssh Debugging

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Feb 28 11:18:26 UTC 2012

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:05:03 +0100, Andrew Farnsworth
<farnsaw at stonedoor.com> wrote:
[snip]

> It could also just be a much simpler "drop all connections after XXX
> minutes" configuration in the ISP (or middle tier ISP).  I would try
> logging around this and see if all the disconnect times are
approximately
> the same number of minutes after the connect occurs.  If this is the
case
> you can either raise it with the ISP to get it fixed (good luck), switch
> ISPs, or code around it.

It could also be worth setting:

ServerAliveInterval 30

in /etc/ssh/ssh_config on the client, making it specific to the affected
server.  I find an increasing number of firewalls drop apparently unused
connections after comparatively little time.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk