[Gllug] Fedora Core 14

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Mon Feb 6 16:27:13 UTC 2012

On 06/02/12 14:23, David Damerell wrote:
> On Friday, 3 Feb 2012, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> Is the debian package manager just better than redhat's, or was I just
>> unlucky with Redhat?
>
> That kind of problem tends to be caused by bogus package metadata (the
> information which says what package A depends on, conflicts with, etc)
> not by the package manager per se.

I think that the main advantage Debian has is that all the packages are
in 'official' repositories.  For Fedora/RedHat you have to invoke third
party repos for stuff like MP3/4 support.  Although the last Fedora
installer I ran did allow you to add third party repos at install time.

I've only managed to get the whole pre-upgrade[1] thing to work once.
The main problem I encountered was the 'not enough space on /boot' which
is now documented in the wiki page.  Of course at the time the whole
process just failed silently part way through leaving a non-bootable
system.  I've done upgrades with Yum and had better success, but still
only about half the time.

These days I tend to just buy a new hard drive when it's time to upgrade
and then copy all the files over.  Even that went wrong the time, I
think between 12 and 14, when they dropped support for the particular
filesystem encryption used by F12 from the kernel in F14.

Rob

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk