[Gllug] Fedora Core 14

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Feb 4 22:41:48 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 07:55:45PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2012 2:14 AM, "Tethys" <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> > Indeed. I recall a couple of years ago, someone from Red Hat posted
> > a list of reasons why rolling upgrades couldn't be done in the general
> > case, and a bunch of features that weren't possible without an external
> > installer like anaconda. This was met with a deafening silence from all
> > those in the Debian world that had been claiming RH was just being rubbish
> > in requiring an external installer.
>
> Don't suppose you have a url for that. I would like to read it.

There was (just a few days ago) another huge discussion about rolling
releases.  You don't need me to find it.

This doesn't change what I said in the grandparent article.  Even
Debian's rolling release generally only works by luck, and dpkg/apt is
something I constantly have to babysit on my servers.

This won't ever change until programmers take a more serious attitude
to their job, ... programming.  Which in the package manager case
means going to the library and studying ACID databases (as applied to
filesystems), formal specifications, and (semi-)formal proofs.
Perhaps when programmers are held criminally liable for their bugs
(like, say, civil engineers).  Until then I don't have much hope.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat