[Gllug] Fedora Core 14

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 23:44:49 UTC 2012

On 4 February 2012 22:41, Richard W.M. Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 07:55:45PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> On Feb 4, 2012 2:14 AM, "Tethys" <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:
>> >

>> > Indeed. I recall a couple of years ago, someone from Red Hat posted
>> > a list of reasons why rolling upgrades couldn't be done in the general
>> > case, and a bunch of features that weren't possible without an external
>> > installer like anaconda. This was met with a deafening silence from all
>> > those in the Debian world that had been claiming RH was just being rubbish
>> > in requiring an external installer.
>>
>> Don't suppose you have a url for that. I would like to read it.
>
> There was (just a few days ago) another huge discussion about rolling
> releases.  You don't need me to find it.
>
> This doesn't change what I said in the grandparent article.  Even
> Debian's rolling release generally only works by luck, and dpkg/apt is
> something I constantly have to babysit on my servers.
>
> This won't ever change until programmers take a more serious attitude
> to their job, ... programming.  Which in the package manager case
> means going to the library and studying ACID databases (as applied to
> filesystems), formal specifications, and (semi-)formal proofs.
> Perhaps when programmers are held criminally liable for their bugs
> (like, say, civil engineers).  Until then I don't have much hope.

Hi,

Just read the thread on rolling release.
Did not actually find a definition of "rolling release".
So, I might be able to take the view that Ubuntu is already a rolling
release, it rolls over once every 6 months!  ;-)
I personally find that OK.
I get some apps updated often, such as firefox without waiting 6
months, but others only come round every 6 months.
I don't have any problem with that.
If the 6 months was changed to 3 months, 1 month or even 1 day, I
don't really see the benefit.
I can always grab the latest of something I really need and compile
it. It then normally works.
Some changes just need a lot more testing than others.

I think the following rules apply and should continue to apply
1) If the change is minor and does not need much testing, release
updates more often.
2) if a change requires lots of testing, introduce it at the 6 month roll over.

Kind Regards
James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk