[Gllug] Ath9k in Kernel 3.2.2.1

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Mon Feb 6 00:12:58 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-05 at 14:57 +0000, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2012, at 10:29, Robert W <mail at binaryexistence.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'v been having issues with wifi when using ath9k since recent updates.
>
> I noticed this after recent Fedora 15 updates.  Got annoyed with it
> and decided to upgrade to Fedora 16 but in the process found the bug
> that prevents grub2 from booting from RAID1.
>
> Then $(day job) demanded attention and haven't had chance to look at
> it again.  Seem to recall the error in the logs being something along
> the line of the device rejecting v1.1 of the firmware and suggesting
> trying v1.3.
>
> When I have chance to look at it again, I'll let you know if I make
> any progress.
>
> Ben

The Ath9k driver is broken for about 50% of the Atheros 9000 series of
wi-fi cards.  Research shows that their command sets vary radically from
version to version, and there are innumerable Windows drivers for each
model of wi-fi module.

I gave up when this bug bit on my Wife's aged Sony Vaio laptop - I just
blacklisted the internal card and used an old TP-Link PCMCIA wireless
card I had with the Ralink drivers.  Problem completely solved!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk