[Gllug] Powerline Ethernet

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Feb 16 10:31:15 UTC 2012

On 15/02/2012 19:41, Mick Farmer wrote:
> I'm thinking of using powerline sockets to extend my home network.  In
> particular, I'm looking at the Devolo powerline products.
>
> Has anyone tried this sort of kit?  Does it work as advertised?  Does it
> work with Linux (Fedora XX)?  Is there really a problem with noise
> pollution?

Not used the Devolo products directly but I have a pair of Western
Digital Livewire power line switches[1] and they're great. I've had no
problem with them at all (apart from burying one under a load of
cushions and it overheated) and they're completely transparent to the OS.

I live in a old Victorian house with generally rubbish wiring about 30
yards from a railway and I've had no problem with noise pollution.

Simon
[1] http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=310

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk