[Gllug] Powerline Ethernet

Thu Feb 16 14:26:22 UTC 2012

On 02/15/2012 07:41 PM, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I'm thinking of using powerline sockets to extend my home network.  In
> particular, I'm looking at the Devolo powerline products.
>
> Has anyone tried this sort of kit?  Does it work as advertised?  Does it
> work with Linux (Fedora XX)?  Is there really a problem with noise
> pollution?
>
> Any details gratefully accepted.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mick
>
> --

I have used the Devolo ones in a couple of different houses with no
problems at all, even with the main one plugged into the router
downstairs and the computers located upstairs.

I haven't tested the throughput, though it is much more reliable than
wifi and I can easily stream a highish bitrate movie from the machine
downstairs to a desktop or even a laptop with wifi.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk