[Gllug] KVM-over-internet

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 1 10:26:34 UTC 2012

On 31/01/2012, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> I have one machine which allegedly has IPMI, and at £3000+ it was not
> cheap so you'd sort of expect it to work. It works... for about a day.
> Then the BMC locks up and goes nonresponsive to IPMI requests, only
> recovering if the power plug is pulled and reinserted.

You Mileage May Vary

I'm have been very happy with IPMI, and find it quite dependable.

As an aside, is this an IPMI interface which piggybacks on an ethernet
connection?
(ie there is an internal bridge)
There is a known issue which I uncovered, where the ports used by IPMI
can clash with ports used by the main machine.

There is a sysctl you can set: sunrpc.min_resvport
Set this to  be higher than the IPMI ports
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk