[Gllug] Ssh Debugging

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:23:54 UTC 2012

On 28 February 2012 07:45, t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk> wrote:
> Re ssh bind to port 1234 problem;
>
> I have only taken a brief glance at this thread,  but it seems to me that if
> the server is saying it cannot bind to the port, there are only really three
> possibilities:-
>
> 1 - most likely - another process is bound to the port;  the netstat -p command
> I believe will show which processes are bound to which ports.
>
> 2 - the server is giving a misleading message; I would imagine it can be placed
> in full debug mode to capture messages as to exactly what it is doing (maybe
> possible to trace the system calls?)
>
> 3 - something wrong with the kernel's IP stack  (highly unlikely!)

But, I don't think this is a configuration problem at either end.
The OP said the ssh link goes down 5-6 times a day, so it works most
of the time.
The only thing that has changed is the WAN link.
The binding problem is most likely a red herring.
My guess is that the real problem is most likely to be due to some
deep packet inspection/policy being applied by the ISP.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk