[Gllug] CentOS for Production (CentOS 6.0 Vs 6.1 Vs 6.2)

Robert forums at binaryexistence.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 13:21:19 UTC 2012

On 26/02/12 11:32, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Sun, February 26, 2012 11:10, Tethys wrote:
>> Presumably you feel exactly the same way about Debian Stable and
>> Ubuntu LTS?
> No. Mainly because just about every single useful piece of software for
> Linux is already packaged for Debian.  If you want something a bit newer
> than is shipped with stable then that's what the backports and volatile
> trees are for.
>

> --
And of course by name, and by nature, "Volatile Tree" is not something
you'd use on a stable production system.
Debian Stable is far from cutting edge, but it is one of the more stable
systems and for this reason is why so many off-springs derive from it.

Horses for courses gentlemen, unless you have a real business need to
upgrade your production system, I'd keep it running as is. Identify the
benefits before upgrading, and if it doesn't bring anything significant,
don't do it!

Robert.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk