[Gllug] Is it possible for CPU temperature sensors not to work?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Feb 11 12:41:58 UTC 2012

I've just put together a system from bits, using an old Intel E5800
processor (dual core Pentium) with the standard Intel cooler and a
Gigabyte motherboard.

I don't put systems together often, but when I do I tend to worry that I
might not have fitted the heatsink quite right so I check the CPU
temperature under a bit of load.

Getting "sensors" working right under Linux involves sacrificing at
least a couple of goats, but I've always reckoned that the CPU
temperature would be reliable.  However currently I'm getting:

john at midnight:~$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:      +41.0°C  (high = +78.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1:      +34.0°C  (high = +78.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

regardless of what's happening.  Straight after starting from cold it
reads like this.  After 10 minutes running a kernel build (both cores at
100%) the reading stays exactly the same.

Either my cooler is doing a gratifyingly good job, or the temperature
reading is bogus.  Is there any way to check?

Shutting down the system and going into the BIOS shows a CPU temperature
(just the one) of 11°C.  The system is in a pretty cold place, but that
too seems surprising.

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk