[Gllug] KVM-over-internet

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Tue Jan 31 15:50:31 UTC 2012

John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> writes:

> On 31/01/2012, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:
>> They were called PC Weasels and were rather ugly hacks:
>> 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Weasel_2000> 	http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4557>
> That's the chappie!
> They were briefly trialled at CERN, as I recall.
>

>> If you need to do a lot of this then buying servers with IPMI make
>> this all a lot easier, and will probably be cheaper in the long run.
>
> I completely second that.
> Do it properly - spec the hardware with IPMI, and ensure whoever is
> hosting the server provides either one or two ethernet cables (servers
> can be confgured to use IPMI 'piggybacking' on the primary ethernet
> interface). I would reccomend the separate interface though.
> If you definitely can't get that management LAN connection, then as
> above you'll have to send a 3G capable router strapped to the side of
> the box.
>
> As I said above, I manage large systems with IPMI. I am confident that
> I can VPN in from home (or anywhere really, and I have done this) and
> shut down systems when necessary.

This isn't server installations, unfortunately - it's specific embedded
hardware being delivered as part of a package, with a customer whose
network is usually locked down in all sorts of ways. The KVM->router->3G
dongle approach will probably be the final solution...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/            | +44 7866 561014
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk