[Gllug] [OT] data protection 'phone calls

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Jan 31 16:52:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 15:23 +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 03:11:14PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > I would be curious regarding a gov department calling you with number with
> > held and not giving you a number to call back on.
> > Which department was it?
>
> Child Support Agency. If I were to call back I would not get the same person,
> mind you would you trust a number that someone unknown gave you ?
>
> They have got their knickers in a complete twist. My kids are entirely out of
> scope now -
> I have a letter saying what I owned at the time of last payment a couple of years ago,
> but now they claim that I owe #10,500 - no explanation given - but threatening action;
> they seem to have got some of my kids' records mixed up;
> they write contradictory letters - at least one is self contradictory;
> a year ago they caused probs by telling my ex to pay me for the son who lives
> with me -- he had gone to Uni and so was out of scope - the letter missed
> important information; ...
>
> I could go on - they are a complete and utter disaster, they cost 40p for every
> #1 raised. They attack people like me who have always paid what was rightly
> asked for.

I had to take those clowns to court when they decided (arbitrarily) to
base their claim for monthly payment on my best years' earnings in the
last 7...  Two years before, I'd been forced to sell my business (by my
ex-wife) and this was counted as income - on paper I'd "earned" £180000
one year.  The morons wanted £2988 PER MONTH.  I was earning (roughly)
£900 per month (this was 1991) after tax and NI in the job I had to take
after life blew up in my face....

In court I asked how much my ex-wife was entitled to per month, and they
told me that it was £128.  I asked what they would do with the balance
of £2860.  Their brief muttered something about "expenses" and "costs"
and so I offered to pay her £50 per week directly, cutting out the
expense of this huge, inefficient bureaucracy.

Needless to say, the court found in my favour and ordered my ex-wife to
pay me £300 per month in alimony since she'd got all the property and
the business and all the rest....

I never saw a penny of the alimony (I didn't expect to) and I've since
worked my way up from having nothing to a state of moderate affluence...

The CSA (or whatever they're called this week) are a disgrace.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk