[Gllug] open source centric ICT in Schools from Sept 2012 ?

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Tue Jan 17 21:59:37 UTC 2012

On 17/01/12 21:01, Nix wrote:
> On 11 Jan 2012, Alain Williams said:
>> The modern driving test has some requirement on car maintainance - an
>> improvement from when I did it. Likewise people are taught at schools to
>> change plugs, most (even boys) do some cookery, ... although it could
>> perhaps go further.
> This is a personal bugbear, but in the modern world, with people
> increasingly living alone for long periods, it is surely a matter of
> basic public health that people be taught to cook well enough to live
> on. But, nooo, in too many places it's treated as something unimportant
> that you 'will pick up from your mother' (bleah).
>
> It's one of a very few skills essential to life. Forget 'economic
> competence', in my opinion simple cookery is about as important as
> reading. Yet it is barely taught.
It's not essential provided you have a reasonable income and not too
many kids. There are plenty of people that don't routinely cook anything
more challenging than beans on toast. Things change when those people
lose their comfortable income and suddenly have t live within a budget.
It's not happening yet but there is a generation of people with zero
cooking skills who are going to learn how to live on a state pension. My
local council already runs courses on budget cookery for the retired.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk