[Gllug] Plusnet Fibre Broadband

Frank Scott lists at frasco.org.uk
Mon Jan 30 13:55:51 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:13:08PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> Mick,
>   I am with Plusnet also, and got a message from them that my exchange
> was new enabled for fibre. I've seen a lot of BT Openreach vans in the
> are recently too.
>
> Does anyone know how to identify the cabinets which house the fibre to
> the curb gear? Reading on one forum I think they are located alongside
> the traditional cabinets where the lines from houses are concentrated.

I have one outside my front gate. It is a GPO-green cabinate situated
about 2m from the existing phone one. The main difference is that it is
50% taller and has a yellow high voltage sticker on it because of the
mains voltage needed to run the VDSL2 cards.

Sutton was fibre enabled a year or so ago. I don't use it since I'm only
400m avay from the exchange and I get about 14.5Mbs with ADSL2 and I
don't really need any more. The interesting thing is that it took more
than 3 months from breaking ground until they finished installing the
cabinet!

I have one friend who has plusnet FTTC and he's ecstatic about it.

Frank

--
    /V\    : ;`  :   Frank Scott  Sutton, London
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk