[Gllug] open source centric ICT in Schools from Sept 2012 ?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jan 19 01:26:08 UTC 2012

On 18 Jan 2012, Iain M. Conochie verbalised:

>> It's one of a very few skills essential to life. Forget 'economic
>> competence', in my opinion simple cookery is about as important as
>> reading. Yet it is barely taught.
>>
> In my school this was called Home Economics. Can still remember the
> class being told to bring in one egg and when the kids arrived half of
> them were broken :) Ahh - those were the days

The private boys' school I went to didn't get that. We got metalwork,
which I was totally incompetent at and which has been of zero use to me
in my life so far. (However, my sister, in the girls' school, got a
really useful home ec course. She learned to make toast! In the oven.
My brain melted when I learned that.)

> In my opinion, we do not value education in our society. There seems
> to be an attitude of "Those that can't teach". Very sad

Yeah. The Far East does this better, only they like rote learning and
cramming *way* too much.

Probably India has the best attitude of all the nations that I can think
of... but they have massive poverty and corruption problems instead.
sigh. Nobody's perfect...

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk