[Gllug] a MAC version of wine.

Matthew Smith indigojo at blogistan.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 12:14:27 UTC 2012

On 03/01/12 12:05, Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 10:28 AM, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Linux, we have "wine" to run windows programs on Linux.
>> Is there a "mac" version of wine, so that we could run "macos"
>> programs on Linux?
>>
>> Kind Regards
>>
>> James
>> --
>
> Hi James, I used a Macbook Pro exclusively for a year in 2010 and needed
> wine on it to run small programs like "Password Safe" which is Windows
> only. As far as I remember, back then I simply used Macports to get the
> necessary ports and compiled everything (including X I believe but not
> sure) until I got wine and Password Safe working, then I never updated
> the ports again because I didn't want to break anything. It kept on
> working though until late 2010 when I switched over to a Linux laptop.

He didn't mean running Windows programs on Mac OS X - he meant running
Mac programs on Linux. As far as I know there isn't one - perhaps nobody
has considered it because there are relatively few commercial Mac
applications that aren't also available for Windows, so it's more worth
people's while to develop Windows layering or virtualisation tools.
Perhaps Apple won't permit it, either.

There actually is an implementation of the NextStep API for Linux,
called GNUStep, but I'm not sure how well it's kept up with changes in
Cocoa. I'm not sure how many Cocoa apps have been ported to GNUStep (not
many, I believe).

Matt

--

http://qtm.blogistan.co.uk/