[Gllug] a MAC version of wine.

Tue Jan 3 12:05:46 UTC 2012

On 12/29/2011 10:28 AM, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Linux, we have "wine" to run windows programs on Linux.
> Is there a "mac" version of wine, so that we could run "macos"
> programs on Linux?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James
> --

Hi James, I used a Macbook Pro exclusively for a year in 2010 and needed
wine on it to run small programs like "Password Safe" which is Windows
only. As far as I remember, back then I simply used Macports to get the
necessary ports and compiled everything (including X I believe but not
sure) until I got wine and Password Safe working, then I never updated
the ports again because I didn't want to break anything. It kept on
working though until late 2010 when I switched over to a Linux laptop.

I didn't go the VM route as that would be pretty resource heavy just to
start a small program once in a blue moon. As for doing VMs on the Mac
in general, I found VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox to be nice.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk