[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Systems Administrator

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Mar 22 16:46:26 UTC 2012

On 22 Mar 2012, JLMS stated:
> As for how one falls in the Linux space, it  used to be just by
> chance, but now that it is a fully professionalized field I suppose
> you would study operating systems in Uni and then move on to an entry
> position in a place where Linux is prevalent.

Well, I dunno. I studied CS in uni but the only parts that were actually
useful and I didn't alrady know were the compiler theory course and the
introduction to algorithmic complexity -- and that would have been
useful in software development anywhere, Linux or no (unless you think
that GCC hackers didn't need to know about compiler theory until
recently!)

> Most companies nowadays won't take self thought people (a shame
> really) and with the prevalence of  certifications many  are not
> evening considering applicants without one.

Well, a lot of Linux distributors would like a CS degree, but if you can
demonstrate that you possess equivalent knowledge in the interview
they're generally happy to take you -- as long as you possess the
*other* knowledge they will be looking for. And most of *that* is
self-taught. You can't learn binutils hacking or PEP writing at Uni: you
learn it because you get involved with those development communities
yourself, probably (hopefully) without ever once considering 'ooh this
will look good on my CV'.

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk