[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Systems Administrator

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 12:01:20 UTC 2012

On 22 March 2012 11:34, Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:

> "Robert ." writes:
>
>>Just out of interest, for those of you that do work in linux jobs on a
>>daily basis, did you choose, train for, and aimed for your career with
>>Linux, or did you find it just happened due to changes of circumstances
>>at your employeer ?
>
> I was already working with Unix and started using Linux at home in the
> early '90s. Gradually, the companies I was working for started including
> Linux in their IT strategies alongside (and later replacing) commercial
> Unixen.

Where I work, it is less specific to "Linux" jobs but more focus being
put on "Open Source" solutions.
More customers are seeing benefits of "Open Source" solutions, and
Linux is a part of that.
So, I would say, if you are looking for a "Linux" job, try to expand
your knowledge in "Open Source" solutions out there.
Try to put some focus on it, for example, SOA (jboss, wso2 etc.) or
big data (e.g. hadoop) or OSS (Operational Support Systems) and
reliability engineering.
One person can never know enough detail in every open source product
out there, so try to focus and get to know a particular area of them
well.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk