[Gllug] nullmailer or ssmtp

john gennard joney1930 at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 29 17:26:02 UTC 2012

I recently posted a question and need further assistance since the
residual problems after a stroke leave me impaired.

I've been attempting to configure getmail, maildrop, mutt and either
ssmtp or nullmailer. At last I have got the first three working (I'll
have to do some fine tuning, but that should be alright).

But I'm really stuck with sending mail. I think ssmtp would now be my
best bet. I've tried so many configurations, but none seem to work.

For my sins I have BT Broadband, who use Yahoo and their web site
is a real mess which is difficult to understand. I keep getting 553
error messages and I've sorted out that problem at least four times
(well I think I've sorted them out!!!). On a Windows box things seem
sort of OK, but I want my Debian box working and Yahoo don't seem to
want to know, there is no help with any usable details. I don't know
what they want.

I've Debian 6.04
BTYahoo's smtp server is "mail.btinternet.com"
Port 25
The authUser is xxxxx at btinternet.com.
The authpass is xxxxxx
I don't know if TLS is used
And I don't know whether EHLO/STARTTLS before starting SSL
authmethod is unknown

None of the configurations I've tried have opened the server.

Could anyone suggest a ssmtp.conf file I could try?.
Or how I could get some sense out of Yahoo??.

John.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk