[Gllug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Mar 6 13:33:12 UTC 2012

On 2 Mar 2012, Andrew Farnsworth stated:

> I have not noticed a significant performance difference in disk access
> speeds relating to the external vs internal tracks on a platter.

There is a significant difference, often as much as a factor of two.
This is inevitable: the outside tracks of the disk have a higher linear
velocity than the inside, so given a constant data density there's more
room to cram in more sectors. (It is possible to reduce the data density
and use a constant sectors/track across the whole disk, but that went
out in the early 90s: it costs too much space.)

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk