[Gllug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 13:54:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 01:33:12PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On 2 Mar 2012, Andrew Farnsworth stated:
>
> > I have not noticed a significant performance difference in disk access
> > speeds relating to the external vs internal tracks on a platter.
>
> There is a significant difference, often as much as a factor of two.
> This is inevitable: the outside tracks of the disk have a higher linear
> velocity than the inside, so given a constant data density there's more
> room to cram in more sectors. (It is possible to reduce the data density
> and use a constant sectors/track across the whole disk, but that went
> out in the early 90s: it costs too much space.)

Interesting ... a default install tends to put /boot in the first few cylinders,
something that is not used after boot.
Looking at a machine where the rest of the disk is given to LVM where other
partitions are found I see:
    RFS   0 to 255
    /tmp  256 to 767
    /www  768 to 1791
    swap  1792 to 2303
    /var  2304 to 4303
    /usr  4304 to 5327

How to organise them ? From out to in perhaps: /www /var /tmp /usr RFS swap.
Roughly in order of most used.
* The machine should never swap.
* RFS - a few files will be used a lot, but they are only read & will end up in buffer cache

Hmm, food for thought.

BTW: I assume that the low numbered extents reported by lvdisplay --maps & by fdisk means
to wards the outside of the disk.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/