[Gllug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 12:50:30 UTC 2012

On 2 March 2012 12:32, Jan van Bergen <Jan at van-bergen.com> wrote:
> On 02/03/2012 12:21, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> [SNIP]
>>
>> This is because during an upgrade, Redhat deletes the old kernel and
>> replaces it with a new one. Ubuntu just adds the new kernel to the grub
>> menu, without deleting the old kernel. In Ubuntu you then manually uninstall
>> the old kernel once the new one is up and running. I think the Ubuntu/Debian
>> method is safer than the Redhat method. --
>

> Not completely true in my experience, Red Hat keeps the last 3 kernels in
> boot and if you add one, it deletes the oldest, so after an upgrade you can
> still go back to the previous kernel (or even the one before that). Pretty
> safe in my experience

My experience with Redhat is limited. I use mostly Debian and Ubuntu.
But as I generally know Linux, I have been called to help at work. On
some of these occasions, the person needing help has done an upgrade
and this has changed the kernel and for whatever reason the system is
now not booting. Replacing the old kernel from a backup device allowed
the system to boot again. It is because this happened quite a few
times, that I assumed that Redhat deleted the old kernel when
upgrading the kernel.
If what you say is true, then there is something wrong with the Redhat
systems I saw.
If Redhat on these systems had kept the last 3 kernels, I would not
have had to recover from the backup.
That being said, I have not received a call to help with Redhat
problems recently, so maybe the problem has been resolved generally.
For example, keeping the last 3 kernels would resolve the problem.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk