[Gllug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

nk oorda nk.oorda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 10:42:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:

> nk.oorda - this stuff about the external sectors of a hard disk is all
> well and good.
> However, in these days you should not be planning partitions on disk
> to put the most heavily accessed data there.
>
> For a production system, specify a mirrored pair off system disks for
> the / /usr /var  (etc. etc.) partitions
>
> Put your  /work space on a SEPARATE set of RAID disks, on a RAID
> controller.
> Remember - there are memory buffers in RAID controllers.
> Either internal to the box, or if you have big data requirements on an
> external array.
> And as has been said above consider solid state drives.

Thanks John
yes we do  have SSD disk and /work is mounted on that. we are really
getting good performance number  for our indexing server which is running
on SOLR.

so is
/
/boot
/usr
/var
/work

is a good scheme to go with right.....i am also interesting to know about
the mount arguments.
thanks again.

--N