[Gllug] IPv6

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Sun May 6 07:45:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 07:21 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>    BBC Technology has an article on the June "IPv6 day" saying that the UK
> is not in the leading 20 countries. Most of the population have not even
> heard about it, yet may need new or updated hardware.

In fairness most of the population have never heard of IPv4 so that's
not really a big issue.

For IPv6 the big issue wont arise until internet sites start to become
available only via IPv6 and even then it wont matter to most people
until it affects a mass market website.

> I understand that
> recent BT hubs are IPv6 capable, but probably most hardware is unknown. Many
> modems on sale do not even mention IPv6. I am connected by C&W LLU, and
> there has been no mention of IPv6. Will the UK be just told one day to get
> on with it?

Most consumer hardware simply does not support IPv6. Even new hardware
generally does not support it. The extent to which this can be addressed
via firmware updates is unclear - it should be possible however the
willingness on the part of manufacturers is limited.

So far we're unable to offer IPv6 at all on the C&W LLU platform. We can
offer it everywhere else including the BE/O2 LLU platform via Enta.
Despite my requesting this from our supplier for C&W nothing appears to
be happening there yet.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk