[Gllug] Fedora 16 Startup

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Mon May 7 13:43:28 UTC 2012

On 06/05/12 21:51, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear Stuart,
>
> I've looked at more "advice" sights than I've had hot dinners.  My
> current summary of the situation is as follows.

I don't need your summary to help.
I need specific information.
For example (but not necessarily limited to)
* the output of the commands you say you have run,
* the precise howto instructions you've followed etc etc.
* what happened afterwards.

If you're not going to provide that information, I can't be of any
assistance at all. I'd be surprised if anyone can be, unless they can
read your mind or get lucky by guesswork.
I'm sorry if that sounds rude or dismissive, but it is true.

If you don't know how to provide that information, then ask. We can help
with that.

> File /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is set up for static IP,
> but is never activated.

Are you sure it is eth0 that you need to be configuring?
if so, what *exactly* is in that file?

Newer versions of Fedora have changed the way network devices are named,
to match PCI ordering and to distinguish between onboard and offboard
devices.
Here my primary interface is actually called 'em1' because it is the
first 'embedded' device on my motherboard.

I stand by my earlier statements - we need more *specific* information.

> However, Fedora always starts Wired-connection-1 which, I assume, uses
> DHCP by default.  There is no Wired-connection-1 in the scripts
> directory, but the interface is still named eth0 by ifconfig.

So, please post the output of 'ifconfig' or 'ip addr' here. Or both, if
you like.

And 'service network status' too.
and 'dmesg | grep eth0'

Then we might have some idea what is happening on your system.
Also, tell us *exactly* what you have done about it, or to attempt to
change it.

> nm-connection-editor shows Wired-connection-1 and eth0 as available
> interfaces, but eth0 is shown as not activated while Wired-connection-1
> shows activation which agrees with my login time, etc.

Which hardware device does Wired-connection-1 claim to be using?
To see this, click on the network icon on your desktop panel, then
'network settings', then the 'configure' button.

You should see the MAC address in use and should be able to align that
with a local device. In fact here it's after the MAC address, like so
"AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:01 (em1)"

Have you used the 'configure' option to set manual network addressing
for 'Wired Connection 1' ?
That should work. It did here.

> So, put simply, my OS is not using the appropriate script, but takes its
> own course of action.  I can't find where this is defined.

Once again, where have you looked?

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.