[GLLUG] Hi all.. question about hardware purchasing..

pavithran pavithran.s at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 20:28:04 UTC 2013

On 20 March 2013 05:27, Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.org.uk> wrote:
> This is good advice - Intel provide excellent driver support for almost
> all their hardware (the exception being the odd Intel badged thing that was
> actually bought in, like the Poulsbo graphics chips). Modern CPUs with
> integrated graphics cores are more than good enough for most uses, and will
> just work out of the box, accelerated video and all.
+1 to intel . They just work without minimum fuss as Intel releases
all drivers as Free software .
>> * In laptops, Acer and Lenovo have a good reputation for working well
>> with Linux. For example, I hear many Debian developers have the Lenovo
>> E520 - a good sign it works well under Debian at least.
>

> Thinkpads have a long history of being decent machines.

Again +1 . Just yesterday I installed Debian (LMDE ) on E530( which
came with win7 ) and it just works .
http://look-pavi.blogspot.in/2013/03/lennovo-thinkpad-edge-e530-simply-rocks.html
I need not tweak anything !
Sadly that machine was for friend and I still cant get my HP envy 4
with Hybrid graphics working decently !  So my piece of advice :
* Don't buy Win8 or anything with the name UEFI
* Don't buy Hybrid graphics ( dual GPU )
* Go for Win7 thinkpads if they are available .

Regards,
Pavithran

--
pavithran sakamuri