[GLLUG] How to do SSL on Ubuntu Server..

Jean van Wyngaardt gabrieldrumming at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 08:55:54 UTC 2013

Hey guys

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Crashplan, however you may know more about SSL than I do.

I'm setting up a Crashplan PROe server for work, I'd like to purchase and install a SSL certificate so the web portal doesn't show certificate errors etc.

Having never setup an SSL certificate on Ubuntu server before, I thought I'd check with you guys to see if you have any recommended tutorials or step-by-step guides, any tips on problems I may run into etc

The Crashplan PROe tutorial goes into some detail, but its not quite as detailed as I'd like:

http://www.crashplan.com/enterprise/support/doku.php/tutorials/installing_your_own_ssl_certificate#configure_proe_server_to_use_your_keystore

The two apps they suggest using are:

	• The openssl tool, which part of the OpenSSL cryptography suite and is widely available on many platforms.
	• The keytool utility program, distributed with the Java Development Kit (JDK). Keytool facilitates managing KeyStore files and certificates.

What ubuntu packages should be installed? If I manage to screw this up, is there a way to reverse the process?

Thanks guys

Jean