[GLLUG] Alternative to Google web mail ?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 11:15:09 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:54:58AM +0100, MJ wrote:
> Hm, why not www.startmail.com. But no, we lazy Brits should have started our own paid for service last year.

Because it is something very different. startmail is a (supposedly) secure email
service - rather like Lavabit that has just closed down.
Mailpile is an open source email system that you can host on your OWN machines.

You can never really trust anything that is hosted by someone else - hit them
with the correct (il)legal documents (or a $5 monkey wrench) and they will hand
over your secrets or install a feed to the spooks.

Hosting something yourself:

* if it is not at your home/office - who can tamper with it ?

* how often do you check your keyboard_cable/USB interface for key loggers ?

* do you verify the .RPMs/.DEBs that you install ?

* do you run encrypted disk partitions ?

etc

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/