[GLLUG] Windows virtual machine - KVM vs XEN vs Virtualbox

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Mon Aug 26 11:58:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 08:59 +0100, Dylan wrote:
> Hi All
>
> What are the pros and cons between KVM, XEN and Virtualbox for setting
> up either WinXP or Vista in a VM? The guest system would only be used
> occasionally for Windows-only applications (3D graphics editors)
>
> Thanks for any comments
>
> Dylan

There's no contest for me - Virtualbox Just Works!  If you install the
"additions" package, you get proper 3D support, and the Windows guest is
fully sand-boxed, so you're unlikely to get any nasty surprises.
Performance of XP and W7 is very good (considering their provenance)
when run in a Virtualbox environment.

C.