[GLLUG] Weird logging behaviour request for suggestions

Imran Chaudhry ichaudhry at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 17:35:11 UTC 2013

Hi Iain,

The 6:25am bit made me recall cron.daily which by default is set to
run at that time - at least on Debian systems.

I'd check the cron stuff again - check /etc/cron.daily for any
symlinks or other entries that might be doing it. I'd bet that
Glassfish has put something in there. An idea is to examine the
package list of everything that comes with the Glassfish package for
something with cron in the name.

Does glassfish run as a special user or something? Might be worth
checking the user-specific crontab?

Here is the relevant line in /etc/crontab

  25 6    * * *    root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / &&
run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily )

It's odd that the gzips are 0, even an gzip of an empty file comes to
~20 bytes. My gut reaction is something with logrotate.

On 19 December 2013 11:02, Iain Gray <iain.dv at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>
> I have a glassfish (2.1.1) server running on ubuntu 12.04 with a bizarre
> logging behaviour.
>
> The logging configuration is set up to log to a location and roll over to a
> new log once the log reaches 20MB. So far so good and this works fine.
> However There is something that is taking these logs and gzipping old ones
> at 6.25am every morning, but the gzips are all 0 bytes
>
> I have gone through logrotate, syslod,  rsyslogd, all crontabs on the system
> and can find nothing that is doing this zip.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to 1. why the gzip is 0 and 2. what is
> doing it.
>
> Thanks

Key fingerprint = EF78 310C C517 9564 9ECA  82F6 68FA E621 17E1 5D16
http://about.me/imranchaudhry