[GLLUG] Getting CUPS to auto-resume

Fred Youhanaie fly at anydata.co.uk
Thu Dec 19 17:37:11 UTC 2013

On 19/12/13 17:16, John Winters wrote:
> On 19/12/13 16:12, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> [snip]
>> I have never seen this behaviour.
>> With my printer connected to a Linux machine via CUPS does the following:
>> 1) Printer indicates that it has run out of paper.
>> 2) Add new paper.
>> 3) Printer just continues on. No interaction with CUPS needed.
>
> Good point.  That is the behaviour which I observe on my own printer also.  There is therefore something else which he is doing which causes the printer to get paused (or it may just be because it's a
> weird Samsung printer with its own CUPS driver).
>
> Whatever he's doing, it would be nice to be able to tell CUPS not to auto-pause the printer.

One thing I have observed in the past with my home printer is that if the printer is powered up after it is connected to the usb port, cups does not detect it, but all is OK when connecting the cable
after power.

These days, the printer is always on and I've got into the habit of connecting/disconnecting the usb cable to the laptop when needed.

HTH

Cheers
f.