[GLLUG] gmail woes.

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Sun Dec 29 11:03:27 UTC 2013

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 10:49:12 +0000
John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 10:42:04AM +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> > Last night I tried setting up gmail on my android mobile in 'k9',
> > and I could get it working on pop3 but not imap, using the same
> > user-name and password in each case. The error report from imap was
> > that either the user-name or password was wrong, even though it was
> > the same in both cases! So does anyone know of any reason why imap
> > should not work please?
> <snip>
>
> Here's how gmail is configured in K9 on my Android phone:
>
> Username is the full email address including the domain
> IMAP server = imap.gmail.com
> Security = SSL/TLS (always)
> Authentication = plain
> Port = 993
> Auto-detect IMAP namespace is enabled
> Compression is enabled

And that’s what I have too, but it comes back with 'setup could not
finish, Username or password incorrect (). Continue/Edit details'

Its currently set to not poll for emails to be downloaded, as is the pop
gmail account too, which wants to download emails from 2005! I should
coco!

It uses the same username, the same password, as the pop setup, which
works, but for some reason its not accepting it from imap. Its very
puzzling!

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.3.2
Registered Linux user 561944