[GLLUG] SOLVED [was Re: gmail woes.]

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Sun Dec 29 11:44:03 UTC 2013

Its sorted. What needed to be done was to enable the web-based gmail
account to use imap in "gear-icon -> Settings -> Forwarding and
POP/IMAP -> IMAP access -> Enable IMAP -> Save".

Thanks folks
Sharon.

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:03:00 +0000
Sharon Kimble <boudiccas at talktalk.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 10:49:12 +0000
> John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 10:42:04AM +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> > > Last night I tried setting up gmail on my android mobile in 'k9',
> > > and I could get it working on pop3 but not imap, using the same
> > > user-name and password in each case. The error report from imap
> > > was that either the user-name or password was wrong, even though
> > > it was the same in both cases! So does anyone know of any reason
> > > why imap should not work please?
> > <snip>
> >
> > Here's how gmail is configured in K9 on my Android phone:
> >
> > Username is the full email address including the domain
> > IMAP server = imap.gmail.com
> > Security = SSL/TLS (always)
> > Authentication = plain
> > Port = 993
> > Auto-detect IMAP namespace is enabled
> > Compression is enabled
> >

> And that’s what I have too, but it comes back with 'setup could not
> finish, Username or password incorrect (). Continue/Edit details'
>
> Its currently set to not poll for emails to be downloaded, as is the
> pop gmail account too, which wants to download emails from 2005! I
> should coco!
>
> It uses the same username, the same password, as the pop setup, which
> works, but for some reason its not accepting it from imap. Its very
> puzzling!
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.3.2
Registered Linux user 561944