[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 11 17:22:55 UTC 2013

On 9 February 2013 23:18, Richard W.M. Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 04:09:06PM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> > Apologies for the OT post.
> >
> > But I have had an email from Talk Talk saying they are ending their TV
> > service and that I have to "upgrade" to their Talk Talk Plus service,
> which
> > requires me to switch telecom provider, which I'd rather not.
> >
> > But it seems I have no other real option - Freeview reception here is
> > rubbish and so I have to have a cable/ADSL supplied TV (or satellite I
> > suppose).
> >
> > Anyone aware of any other option? It seems this part of N4 is not even
> > cabled according to Virgin and BT's service only supplies the "on demand"
> > stuff via the phone line.
>
> Maybe not having a TV?  It's anachronistic and somewhat absurd to sit
> around waiting for some programme to come on at a particular time.
>
> Rich.

 It depends on the program. Sports lose much of their appeal if they aren't
watched live, since one will be informed of the results against one's
wishes by the most unimaginable means (the other day there was a live
commentary of the super bowl by my colleagues in a chat session that was
supposed to be open to organize ongoing support :-), and then are all the
fans of this or that team, that you follow for a completely unrelated
reason, but that decide to do a live commentary on twitter of ongoing
matches, the only viable way to watch recorded sports is to become a
hermit! ).

Most reality TV requires some element of participation from a live audience
as well, so watching later sometimes isn't an option (please, spare me the
comments about how rubbish is today's TV, to each one his own I say :-) ).