[GLLUG] Simulating a USB plug-in event

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Feb 15 10:27:03 UTC 2013

Here's a little thing that's been niggling me for a while.

In my latest PC I've got one of those panels which accept a wide variety
of flash memory cards - SDHC, uSD, Compact Flash, etc.  It works fine
with Linux except for one point.  When you want to remove a card you
have to be very careful which unmount option you choose.  Gnome now
offers "Eject" and "Safely remove drive", and I have seen desktops which
offer three different options.  If I do an "Eject" from the Gnome
desktop, all is well, but if I choose "Safely remove drive" then the
whole device is powered off and can't be used again until the computer
is re-booted.  To further confuse matters, the Gnome pop-up which
appears when you insert a card also has an "Eject" button, but it works
like the "Safely remove drive" option in the desktop, and not like the
"Eject" one.

I've learned which one to use, but occasionally someone else will use my
machine and choose one at random, rendering the slots unusable without a
re-boot.  It seems that what happens is the USB power is cut off and
can't be restored without un-plugging and re-inserting the USB device,
which as it's built into the computer is a bit difficult.

So my question - I've been hunting for a way to get the computer to
re-initialise the USB device, without actually unplugging and
re-plugging (or re-booting the computer), so far without success.
Anyone know if there's a way this can be done?

TIA,
John