[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Feb 12 08:10:20 UTC 2013

On 12/02/13 06:27, Christopher Hunter wrote:
[snip]
> He ceased Virgin after two months of fruitless argument, but they tried
> to bill him for the whole year.  He took them to the Small Claims Court,
> and the case was moved to the County Court because he was persuaded to
> also sue for misappropriation of funds - Virgin simply took the money
> out of his account!  He won, of course, and the only up-side to the
> whole sorry tale is that the Court awarded him significant damages (for
> damage to his property, misappropriation, nuisance and inept supply of
> service).  Virgin had to pay him back the money they stole and damages
> of just over £3500!

On which front, it's worth remembering that if any supplier ever debits
money from your account which they shouldn't there's no need to go to
all this trouble.  Simply instruct your bank to refund the money.  Under
the terms of the DD agreement they *have* to do this.  It's up to them
to go away later and get the money back from the supplier.

I have done this on several occasions, most notably when Demon's billing
department went completely rogue back in the late 90s.  Chances are the
first person you speak to will say they can't do it, but they can and
indeed must - persist.

For this reason, DDs are much safer than repeating debit instructions on
a credit card.  Never grant one of the latter.

John