[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Feb 12 22:07:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-12 at 08:10 +0000, John Winters wrote:
> On 12/02/13 06:27, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> [snip]
> > He ceased Virgin after two months of fruitless argument, but they tried
> > to bill him for the whole year.  He took them to the Small Claims Court,
> > and the case was moved to the County Court because he was persuaded to
> > also sue for misappropriation of funds - Virgin simply took the money
> > out of his account!  He won, of course, and the only up-side to the
> > whole sorry tale is that the Court awarded him significant damages (for
> > damage to his property, misappropriation, nuisance and inept supply of
> > service).  Virgin had to pay him back the money they stole and damages
> > of just over £3500!
>
> On which front, it's worth remembering that if any supplier ever debits
> money from your account which they shouldn't there's no need to go to
> all this trouble.  Simply instruct your bank to refund the money.  Under
> the terms of the DD agreement they *have* to do this.  It's up to them
> to go away later and get the money back from the supplier.
>
> I have done this on several occasions, most notably when Demon's billing
> department went completely rogue back in the late 90s.  Chances are the
> first person you speak to will say they can't do it, but they can and
> indeed must - persist.
>
> For this reason, DDs are much safer than repeating debit instructions on
> a credit card.  Never grant one of the latter.
>
> John

John

I think there was an element of wanting to get reparation and cause them
as much expense and inconvenience as possible.  It might sound somewhat
malicious, but I can empathise, especially after fighting with a bunch
of ineptly written Insurance webshites last night!  I want to cause them
as much grief as possible!

C.