[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Mar 5 06:48:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 22:06 +0000, Chris Bell wrote
:
>  could it be that BT are
> deliberately not providing FTTC so as to force companies to pay them more?

It's incompetence, not conspiracy!  Muswell Hill was the first to get
FTTH in the country - we are the test area - but after they installed
the gear at the exchanges BT discovered that the ductwork that they had
had installed by sub-contractors wasn't suitable!  It is the wrong type
of ducting, has bends that are too tight for fibre, and was so poorly
installed that it was broken in many places.

Even ADSL up here is a bit hit and miss, and Virgin cable is a bad
joke.Now we find that BeThere are being sold to Sky....

Is there anyone competent, that doesn't charge the earth, and doesn't
cap or otherwise abuse traffic?  BT have restricted access to about a
third of the web, and along with that Plus Net use all the same
infrastructure.  Zen is expensive, and A & A is eye-wateringly costly
and restricted....

Is there an ADSL service I can sign up to and get good results?  Ideally
with helpdesk staff who can speak comprehensible English and don't just
read out their useless scripts?

C.