[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.org.uk
Tue Mar 5 23:16:04 UTC 2013

On 05/03/13 21:02, John Winters wrote:
> On 05/03/13 20:53, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> I want effective service and a
>> worthwhile hell-desk rather than script-monkeys. I'm happy to pay a
>> realistic price (like Be charge me) but I don't want my packets
>> inspected, routing restricted, downloads limited and morons on their
>> phone lines.
>>
>> Be scored on all points.
>
> As do A&A in my experience, but if you're happy with Be why not stay
> with them?

Another vote for A&A here. They will resell you a line based on BT or
Be's wholesale products, so you can basically pick your price point.
Downloads are metered, but you can rollover unused usage, and they don't
charge you more for overconsumption immediately. The tiering is such
that between 2 and 6 am bandwidth is almost free, so cron large
downloads. The off-peak allowances are also pretty reasonable from 6pm on.

I had similar concerns to you when I moved to them, but the reality has
been pleasant. I've had a couple of line problems, and their service is
great - I've had staff sort out a BT visit for me when I reported a
problem at 11pm via IRC. Equally, on one occasion where BT came out,
they tried to charge for the visit. A&A immediately disputed it for me,
and I never even saw a bill to complain about.

The service is fantastic, and after many years of being with Demon, and
watching while a once clued up ISP grew steadily more and more idiotic,
to the point of outsourcing their support to India, and moving their
mail provision to a white-boxed hosted Exchange setup, I couldn't be
more pleased to be with A&A.

Mike