[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 17:15:33 UTC 2013

On 6 March 2013 07:07, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> On 05/03/13 23:36, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> I looked at the A&A email policy.
>> If I subscribed to lkml, I would be charged 120pcm, as it would be
>> immediately a high user!
>> Does that sound right.
>

> Yes, I think you're reading the price list correctly.  It sounds like if you
> want to subscribe to lkml, then using A&A as your e-mail provider (which is
> a different thing from using them as your ISP) would not be a good choice.
>
> OTOH, I'd talk to them about it.  The £120/month rate is clearly intended
> for medium to large businesses, and it's rather an anomaly that subscribing
> to just one (rather exceptional) mailing list can take you into that usage
> band.  They're geeks and would probably be sympathetic.

I got the answer back from A&A. If I receive or send 10000+ emails a
month, it will be £120/month.
I worked out the lkml alone is on average about 15000 emails a month.
I also watch other ones, like the wine developer ones, and that would
add about another 7000.
Bandwidth wise, it accounts for about 1Gb a year.